I have been involved in software engineering research since 2009. I am interested in software modeling, so that programming is about solving problems, not just about typing code. Modeling is like programming but on a higher level of abstraction. In programming we use languages to describe programs. Similarly, in modeling we use languages to describe models. My work contributed to two such languages: Common Variability Language and Clafer. The former is an upcoming OMG standard for modeling and resolving variability in Software Product Lines (SPLs). The latter is a lightweight language for modeling and analysis of SPL variability. Clafer facilitates Example-Driven Modeling, where models consist of abstractions and examples. In 2013 I decided to pursue a career in the industry to bring much of the software research and model-based software development into practice.
If you are an undergrad student, check out the website of GSD Lab – my former lab. They are always looking for talented students who are interested in research. Check out their website with some project ideas related to Clafer. You will find it interesting if you are passionate about software engineering or programming languages!
If you are a researcher or practitioner I would be glad to talk to you about any modeling problems you might have. A complete list of my publications is shown below (for your convenience, electronic versions are also attached).
- Kacper Bąk, Zinovy Diskin, Michal Antkiewicz, Krzysztof Czarnecki, and Andrzej Wąsowski. Clafer: Unifying Class and Feature Modeling. In SOSYM, 2014. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Kacper Bąk, Zinovy Diskin, Michal Antkiewicz, Krzysztof Czarnecki, and Andrzej Wąsowski. Partial Instances via Subclassing. In SLE, 2013. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Kacper Bąk, Dina Zayan, Krzysztof Czarnecki, Michal Antkiewicz, Zinovy Diskin, Andrzej Wąsowski, and Derek Rayside. Example-Driven Modeling. Model = Abstractions + Examples. In ICSE, 2013. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Kacper Bąk, Krzysztof Czarnecki, and Andrzej Wąsowski. Feature and Meta-Models in Clafer: Mixed, Specialized, and Coupled. In SLE, 2010. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Michal Antkiewicz, Kacper Bąk, Krzysztof Czarnecki, Dina Zayan, Andrzej Wąsowski, and Zinovy Diskin. Example-Driven Modeling Using Clafer. In MDEBE, 2013. [ bib | .pdf ]
- IBM, Thales, Fraunhofer FOKUS, and TCS. Proposal for Common Variability Language (CVL) Revised Submission, 2012. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Kacper Bąk, Krzysztof Czarnecki, and Andrzej Wąsowski. Feature and Class Models in Clafer: Mixed, Specialized, and Coupled. Technical Report CS-2010-10, University of Waterloo, 2010. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Michal Antkiewicz, Kacper Bąk, Alexander Murashkin, Rafael Olaechea, Jimmy Liang, and Krzysztof Czarnecki. Clafer tools for product line engineering. In SPLC, 2013. [ bib | .pdf ]